According to a study published in 2018, carpets accounted for 51% of the total US flooring market. The same study indicates that carpets tend to collect dust, dirt, pet dander, pollutants, cockroach allergens, and germs easily. A build-up of pollutants has negative health implications, especially in people susceptible to adverse allergic reactions.
While regular vacuuming is mandatory, experts recommend a periodic deep cleaning to eliminate the build-up of pollutants, allergens, and dust mites. But how do professional carpet cleaners work around furniture? Do they move them around, or are you expected to? Here’s everything you need to know about carpet cleaning, the process, moving and protecting your furniture, and much more.
Prepare for Carpet Cleaning
Generally, professional carpet cleaning companies will let you know everything you need to do beforehand and how to prepare your home.
Here are a few tips to prepare your home ahead of cleaning and make the experience a better one for you and the cleaning service.
- Declutter as much as possible and pack away the toys, rugs, mats, and other knick-knacks.
- Move small pieces of furniture such as dining room chairs, table lamps, etc., out of the way.
- Remove fragile items and valuables and put them away for safekeeping.
- Anything that is of high replacement value should be under the supervision of the homeowner.
- Pin up your floor-length curtains and draperies out of the way.
- Vacuum high traffic areas to remove the surface dirt and debris as much as possible. While some companies may vacuum first, others rely on the homeowner. You can save money by doing your own vacuuming.
- If you move furniture to vacuum underneath, ensure that you move it back to its original position so that it doesn’t cover the traffic area next to it.
- Use foam padding or painter’s tape on baseboards, corners, doorways, etc., to protect them from the cleaning cords.
- Make a note of the stains and the problem areas in the carpet and let your carpet cleaner know during the pre-inspection.
- Clear the driveway or the parking spot near your home in order to facilitate easy access to the truck-mounted equipment.
- Confine your pets to a safe place away from all the noise.
Carpet Cleaning without Moving Furniture
The real challenge when cleaning your carpet is to get underneath the heavy furnishings and also behind them. But by following the below steps, the carpet cleaning company can do the job effectively without having to move your furniture.
- Organize your room by picking up the toys and other clutter around the room—dust off the blinds, furniture, window frames, baseboards, etc.
- Vacuum the carpets using the proper attachments depending on the carpeting. Ensure that you cover the edges and the area hidden behind and underneath the furniture using the nozzle attachment.
- Adjust the height of the vacuum to the correct height depending on the type of carpet.
- Take your time and vacuum slowly, going over every area again and again.
Do Carpet Cleaners Move Furniture?
While most cleaning services recommend moving small tables, electronics, photographs, plants, etc., out of the way, they do not touch the big and bulky furniture pieces such as china cabinets, pianos, entertainment centers, bookshelves, including other antiques, and heirloom pieces.
Some carpet cleaners charge for moving furniture while others do not. Talk with your carpet cleaning professionals and come to a mutual agreement. In case you want the cleaning team to move furniture, you may have to provide them with a written release of liability.
Protect Furniture When Cleaning Carpets
While every cleaner recommends you to move furniture, it is always not possible due to any of the below reasons:
- Too heavy to move
- No space to store
- Not enough time
If any of these situations apply to you, here’s how you can protect your furniture from water and chemical cleaning agents.
Furniture Coasters: Coasters are little pads you keep below the furniture legs to protect the carpet. In this case, you can use it to protect your furniture.
Blankets and Cardboard: You can layer blankets and cardboard around your furniture in the absence of a coaster.
How Does Carpet Cleaning Work?
There are quite a few different methods for cleaning your carpets. A professional cleaning service can clean not just your carpet but also upholstery, rugs, and other textiles. Every material requires a different method.
Here are a few cleaning methods and how they work:
- Hot Water Extraction
Otherwise called steam cleaning, this method involves a cleaning agent applied at high pressure through a jet nozzle. A grooming tool then agitates the carpet fibers and dissolves the pollutants, closely followed by a hot water rinsing. Finally, the water is then extracted using a vacuum.
- Absorbent Compound
Also known as dry cleaning, this method is ideal for someone who doesn’t want a wet carpet. It uses an absorbent compound that binds to the pollutants, which the carpet cleaner then vacuums up after some time.
- Bonnet Cleaning
Bonnet cleaning is done by machines with spinning pads immersed in cleaning solutions. They clean superficially but are the fastest of all cleaning techniques.
- Carpet Shampooing
Carpet shampooing uses shampoo in the form of foam which is then brushed into the carpet. The shampoo is then removed via wet vacuuming. Finally, a dry vacuum dries the carpet and removes all the traces of residue.
Safest Professional Carpet Cleaning Process
Steam cleaning, otherwise called hot water extraction, is the best and the safest professional cleaning process. It removes at least 97% of the dirt and bacteria from the surface of the carpet.
Moreover, it also reaches the lowest layer of the carpet, cleaning thoroughly, making it the ideal method to clean difficult stains.
However, if you want your carpet ready for foot traffic, dry cleaning is the better option.
Cost for a Professional Carpet Cleaning Service
According to Home Guide, the cost to clean the carpet in an average three-bedroom house is $175. The charge per room is approximately $25 – $70, depending on the size of the room.
For a larger house, the cost will be around $300 – $600.
A professional cleaning company may charge extra for moving furniture. They will inform the clients of the price quote before the job begins.
Carpet and upholstery cleaning technicians are not allowed to move heavy furniture. While you do not need to move furniture to clean your carpet, doing so will give you a thorough cleaning.
Try moving small things, anything that can be shifted out to allow enough room for easy and detailed cleaning.
Talk to your carpet cleaner and come to an agreement before the job about the items that can be moved and the charge for the same. This ensures that both parties on the same page about moving furniture during the cleaning.
If you would like to have your carpeting thoroughly cleaned, contact CleanBright carpet and floor cleaning specialists for a free quote today. CleanBright has over 10 years of experience in professional carpet cleaning, and all their services are backed by a complete satisfaction guarantee, so they’ll give your money back if you’re unhappy.